10 January 2010

BRUGMANSIA

This was another new cluster of flowers, where the photo was taken on 8 Jan 10, since the recent batch that dropped its last flower in the early days of the new year. Unfortunately, my failing camera is not able to focus on the flowers properly.

Seriously, I am not faking it when I say this plant seems to perpetually produce clusters and clusters of flowers non-stopped for the last half year or so. When I first grew it, I was impatient and waited so long for it to flower.

Now I feel really rewarded since the numerous flowers also brought with it a strong fragrance that permeates the air, especially at night when I walk past the corridor to my door.

But it really drinks a lot of water and yesterday evening, I discovered these flowers were withering prematurely when I did not provide the plant with sufficient water. Going on overseas trips is a worry because I hate to lose this plant. In addition, I worry that someone would steal this plant someday since it is so showy and anyone from the ground floor would be able to see the beautiful pendulous flowers.

Anyway, now I am waiting for the B. versicolor with white-yellow flowers to bloom and I would just be so happy.