22 June 2009

ION

I saw two huge supertrees at Orchard Ion the other day. Or should I say, two artificial trees with super huge trunks and branches that were supporting the extended roof of the iconic development along Orchard Road.

The development is not completed or opened to the public but the multi-faceted colourful display screens and the supertrees etc already captured my attention and imagination.

Initially, I thought why did the developer or architect choose this tree structure? Then I saw the real trees that were planted and which probably gave rise to this unusual design concept.

The trees that were planted are cotton trees. I have never seen any development thus far using this tree as the focal point, much less this species of planted tree of such a tall height. So this is really unique. I am not sure if this tree is really suitable for this location, only time will tell. But kudos to the courageous architect for choosing this interesting tree for the development at this most important crossroad.

You can sort of see the tiered branched effect now. To know how big and majestic this tree can grow to, just look to Singapore Botanic Gardens' grand bandstand for the idea. It would eventually have a massive trunk and take on an imposing look.

If you are lucky, you may encounter a 'snowing' effect after the tree blooms are pollinated and the fruits release the cotton wooled seeds. I think it would look nice during the Christmas season when this happens.

I am already looking forward to this year's Christmas!