19 January 2013

THE GUILLOTINES

I have not been posting anything in this blog lately because I was busy posting other posts in my new aquarium blog (aquariumfrenzy.blogspot.sg) after setting up my new marine pico tank since the beginning of the new year.

Anyway, this Chinese-Hong Kong movie production wasn't really what I expected. It was not really a movie on the deadly weapon, used by a group of secret assassins reared by the late Yongzheng Emperor to eliminate his enemies. Rather, it was a movie about the fate of these assassins, who were raised since young to be trained as professional killers, but who fell victim to the Emperor they now served because they were no longer needed and were a stain to be erased from the history of the Qing Dynasty.

Starring actors from mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, such as Huang Xiaoming, Ethan Ruan, Shawn Yue, Li Yuchun, Jing Boran etc. But I must say this is actually a movie made more for Ethan than Xiaoming, who seemed to have a secondary role as the Jesus-looking rebel. I was dying to see the invincible weapon, made famous in other early TV Taiwan productions, and was instead treated to a story of integrity, betrayal and brotherhood. If you just sit back and enjoy the movie for its cast, production etc, then it would not be as bad as how the critics made it out to be.