14 July 2012

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

Today's weather - sunny
After much anticipation, I watched this new Marvel Comics superhero movie starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Martin Sheen, Sally Field and so on. I enjoyed the earlier spider-man movies that were first made a decade ago in 2002 with Tobey Maguire as the lead and had my reservations with this new version with a new lead whom I have never come across before.


In comparison, Andrew seemed like an unlikely hero with his scrawny body. But I guess one shouldn't be too judgmental and stereotype anything or anyone. This movie proved to me that I still have lots to learn everyday. I admit that Andrew Garfield is brilliant in this role and I can't think of anyone more suitable to play this well-known character.


This new take explored a deeper side into Peter Parker's life and personality and showed how this angsty and cynical youngster overcame his personal demons, insecurities and inadequacies to eventually become a vigilante who protected the innocent lives out there. The awakening journey he took wasn't an easy one with the loss of both his parents when he was just a child and the loss of his uncle Ben, which he was partially responsible for. I love the transformation he went through from a geeky boy-next-door who was constantly bullied at school to a geeky boy-turned-superhero who tested his new-found powers to a new superhero who learnt to take on this calling and responsibility to protect the innocent.


Oh, and did I mention I love the new spider logo with the long legs? Well, I certainly do. And Emma Stone as Peter's new girlfriend Gwen Stacy was definitely much more appealing than Kirsten Dunst's character Mary-Jane Watson.