25 August 2012

SINGAPORE GARDEN FESTIVAL 12 PART 2

Today's weather - sunny
It's the fairy tales garden, a gold award winning display, created by Damian Tang. It got people curious to seek out the fairy tales and characters in the exhibit. I certainly was.

First, I was captivated by a huge but beautiful spider. Interestingly, I was told it is not part of any fairy tale and was there to create interest.

Alright, I saw the dwarfs from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". Why were they all facing inwards without revealing their faces, I wondered? Then there was Pinocchio but it wasn't just one or two puppets of him. There were quite a couple everywhere, including one in a bird cage, one lying back on a Bird's Nest Fern and I was amazed and intrigued by the Pinocchio shrine.

On the other side, there was the little red riding hood and the wolf, if only one can see it. Once again, the girl in the hood was hiding her face away from the masses. Around the turn was Tinkerbell, I think, sitting at the base of an Olive Tree.

So what's the reason for getting the characters not to face the crowd? Other than creating curiosity, was the designer's intention merely for us to imagine the characters' looks on our own? I don't know.