04 April 2013

OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Starring James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams, this movie adapted from a fairy tale is mainly for the kids, I felt. Having said that, I love the landscape, which was a magical setting with many magical and out of this world plants. I was thrilled by the amazing plants and forest creatures. That much I really enjoyed.

There was the familiar yellow brick road but that was where the magical experience ended. There wasn't the familiar Dorothy, Scarecrow, Lion and Doggy anywhere. Some movie critics commented that James Franco was the weakest link in the movie but I begged to differ. He was humourously funny and I thought he did well playing the self-centred magician turned hero. Rachel Weisz was as usual, looking ever so pretty as one of the wicked witches. Mila Kunis was alright. I personally didn't like Michelle William's portrayal of the good witch though.

I wonder if there will be any sequels to introduce the original characters of the fairy tale although I seriously doubt so.