13 October 2011

ANN SIANG HILL PARK PART 1

Today's weather - sunny


I was at Amoy Street Food Centre for lunch and took the opportunity to take some photos of this Ann Siang Hill Park, which I was involved in developing. Looking at the park, I could spot areas of improvement, which I prefer not to refer to as mistakes. I have gained more experience over the years and would have done things slightly differently.

This was also the park where I first tried out the Syzygium buxifolium, which was previously mistaken as Myrtus communis. I am glad that the plant is still around. The Clerodendrum inerme is one of the less attractive member of the genus but it is an uncommon plant in a garden. 

The spiral staircase is one of the highlights of this small pocket park. But before I climb up the stairs to the cantilevered upper deck, I walked along the footpath to the foot of the structure. The area under the deck was enclosed by a grid fence and the Quisqualis indica was planted within a verge less than 30 cm wide. On hindsight, we shouldn't have constructed such a narrow strip of planting area and I should not have chosen this climber too. The climber had few flowers and was displaying nutrient deficiency symptoms. Looking at it, I felt the grid has a huge potential for a beautiful, sustainable greenwall project.

Till today, the very uncommon Litchi chinensis is still suffering from water stress, presumably because it is on a steep slope with half the root system buried under deep soil and the other half of the roots drastically severed.

Up on the timber deck, the wooden swing was removed and the Quisqualis was growing all over the trellis, the severely nutrient deficient Bauhinia kockiana grown within the narrow and shallow planter and the beautiful Cinnamomum iners tree.