01 January 2012

SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS

I didn't watch the first Sherlock Holmes at the movies because I don't like Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law although I vaguely remember watching it on TV, I think. In fact, I have never like both actors.

Anyway, I went to watch the above recently and it was exactly what I expected it to be. Directed by Guy Ritchie, this recent series on the famous detective gave it a completely different twist from the books. Whilst the Sherlock Holmes I read about and remember is a prim, proper and decent detective from Scotland Yard, this one here is an unorthodox, flippant, outrageous and I would say, mad, detective with the ability to Sherlock Holmes is alive, he would flip in his grave, figuratively speaking.


Then again, this is also the success formula for these two action-packed movies, I think. I must admit Robert Downey Jr. played this character very well. His intelligence, sense of humour and humanity is without a doubt what make this character very charismatic and well-received. And when there is Sherlock Holmes, there will always be the more down to earth Dr Watson, played by Jude Law, who really played second fiddle in the two movies. Rachel McAdams had a small part to play and was killed off within minutes into the show.


Like the first movie, the movie was quite long at more than two hours but one would not be too pre-occupied with it because of the fast pace. I may not dislike this movie but then again, it would never make it to my list of favourite movies either.