20 December 2009

ASCELPIAS FRUTICOSA

I came across the Asclepias curassavica (Blood Flower) only when I was planting up HortPark. It is a very gorgeous plant that is also a butterfly host plant to the Plain Tiger and now we have the red and yellow flower varieties at HortPark.

I first saw the white flower variety at Hua Hng in 2008 but due to some miscommunication, I did not buy it. Subsequently it was no longer available.

Then my staff and I came across the interesting fruit capsules as cut flower stalks at Far East Flora. Frankly, I didn't know the capsules were from A. fruticosa until my staff told me. We ended up buying some of the stalks of the fruit capsules and he tried propagating it via plant cuttings.


Most did not grow and eventually only one stalk managed to grow. Finally from it, he managed to propagate a few plants. The flowers are as shown above whilst the fruit capsules are shown below. Both photos were taken on 18 Dec 09.