15 December 2009

BRUGMANSIA

Ah, Brugmansia cultivar, otherwise more commonly known as Angel's Trumpet. It has been very rewarding for me to grow this plant.

I kept telling my colleagues that my Brugmansia is flowering non-stop these days. I am not sure if they believe me but this is proof of it. There was once when it had 20 flowers and opening buds in total. This photo was taken on 11 Dec 09.

The location must really be good for it although it can be really windy at times. I allowed the flowers to overhang over the parapet wall and it can be seen from downstairs. Do you know I have to water it everyday and mostly twice a day because of its heavy watering requirements? I suppose they need all the water to support the multiple blooms.

At night, I can smell the beautiful scent of the flowers just outside my door. Yes, I know it's supposed to have some hallucinogenic properties (confirmed by a colleague recently) and that is why it was never planted in Singapore. That is about to change as I planted at least 15-20 of them at HortPark.

By the way, the climber on the right is Petraeovitex wolfei (Wolfe's Vine) and the one on the left is Antigonon leptopus (Honolulu Creeper, Coral Vine, Chain of Love).