15 December 2009

FICUS RELIGIOSA

I see this tree along Pasir Panjang Road almost everyday when I go to work. I retained another one of this within HortPark on a slope.

A colleague recently remarked there was nothing special about the tree I conserved at HortPark. I suppose to her, she was only seeing it at face value and it didn't help that the time she saw it was when the tree was almost bald.

This was supposed to be the tree underwhich Buddha attained enlightenment, hence it's name. I love it because when the new flushes of leaves are out, they are pinkish and together with the light yellowish-green leaves, prominent veins and drip-tip, it gives the tree a beautiful look when viewed under the rays of the sun. The photo was taken on 11 Dec 09.

I hope more people would appreciate this tree as much as I do.