09 February 2010

BEAUMONTIA JERDONIANA

Do you realize that there are 2 separate plants here taken at 2 areas of HortPark? They were planted for at least 6 months already.

The top photo taken across the Hands-On -House shows the common Beaumontia jerdoniana (Nepal Trumpet Flower, Easter Lily Vine) finally sending up a vine up the trunk of the Pterocarpus macrocarpus. I cannot wait for the big flowers to bloom. I saw the largest specimen of this climber at a plant nursery in Thailand.

So when I came across the variegated Beaumontia in Chiang Mai in January 09, I couldn't resist but bought one plant for planting. This small plant really struggled to survive in this open area below a similar Pterocarpus next to the HortMart and Silver Garden area. I cannot wait for it to climb up the tree and bloom!

I always look at them when I drive past the Broadwalk and it is such joy to see them finally growing better than before under the harsh open conditions.