14 May 2012

BEAUTY

Today's weather - sunny
They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. How true! What is beautiful to me may not be beautiful to others. So this is the part where I say that my blog may not be appreciated by the mainstream audience but it doesn't bother me. I don't write to attract attention or please others, I wrote to document the things I love, the places I visit and the movies and tv shows I watched etc.


Back to the topic, these are some uncommon beauties that caught my attention.


The Dillenia flowers always catch my attention and this plant with D. excelsa or suffruticosa-like flowers is actually known as Dillenia alata (common name: Red Beech, Golden Guinea Tree). The leaves are smaller than those of D. suffruticosa and the leaf margins are not jagged.


Then there is the very rare and amazingly pretty Holmskioldia tettensis (common name: Purple Chinese Hat, Tahitian Hat Plant, Parasol Flower) which looked simply out of this world.


The Dillenia castaneifolia with red new leaves and less attractive flowers is kind of attention grabbing too.


This particular Poikilospermum has rather attractive green leaves but looks very mild compared to the ones I last saw in Sarawak in March 2011.


The last photo is that of the uncommon medium to large-sized tree Tetrameles nudiflora.