10 January 2010

GUY

I saw, or rather my friend saw, this "note" scribbled on a bank brochure left on a paid phone near the place I stay. So I took this photo on 3 Jan 10 because the guy who did this is a permanent fixture in the neighbourhood and I find him really interesting.

I wonder who he lives with and what he does because he doesn't seem to work and wanders around the neighbourhood everyday scribbling and leaving such notes everywhere. I saw him hanging around in the morning on my way to work; I saw him walking around the mall and foodcourt; I saw him staring at TV screens and muttering to himself.

Is he looking for someone and leaving such messages for the person he is seeking? Is this his way of communicating to the world? Once, I even heard him angrily scolding and muttering in chinese "you throw and I will write" presumably because someone threw the brochures away.

You can tell he has a thing for cleanliness because he would always cover both his hands in clear plastic bags. As he walked, his hands would be lifted up to prevent the bags from dropping out.

Yesterday, I saw him writing these notes again. This time, he was at the foodcourt. You could see how meticulous he was just by observing how he carefully arranged the brochures, the pens etc on the table before he started writing, afterwhich he cautiously changed his "gloves" before he packed the stuff and left. I have also seen him at the neighbourhood NTUC drinking, or rather gargling water from his water bottle, before he swallowed it. I don't think his behaviour is classified as normal but yet he does seemingly normal stuff at times. You should hear how he explained to the NTUC auntie on the plastic bags he use and which is better than the other etc.