10 January 2010

PHALERIA CLERODENDRON

I first came across this small unusual tree when I was managing the Watten Estate area and saw it in the Watten Heights Playground. It has a dense small roundish crown and produces cauliflorous white fragrant flowers that last only a day or two.

So last year, when I saw saplings of this tree in our nursery, I collected a couple of them and planted them at various parts of HortPark. They can be found at the Silver Garden, Floral Walk and Nursery Holding Area.

This photo was taken at the Floral Walk entrance on 31 Dec 09 as I exited from the park. I did not capture the photo of the entire tree because the form is not nice at all at this sapling stage.

I must remember to include this tree in the Butterfly Garden extension due to its rarity and beautiful cauliflorous fragrant white flowers.