11 January 2011

RED MOTHS

A colleague pointed out this beautiful but small red moth found on this Ficus microcarpa that I posted recently with the Hoya 'Ruthie'.

There were at least 3 of them around and were perched on the leaves of plants e.g. Ochna kirkii (common name: Mickey Mouse Plant) below the tree. Their bodies and wings are predominantly scarlet red with 2 black patches at the tail end of the elongated wings, with a pair of black antennae with white tips on its head and the black abdomen is covered with long fine red hairs on the lateral sides.

At first sight, I thought it was one of those stink bugs but it was apparently a rare find. We were told that the tiny caterpillars are yellow in colour. Who knew they breed on this host tree right outside my office. They might have been here all the while but I didn't pay attention to these gems. Now I have to spend more time to look out for them.