06 March 2012

ENGLISH LANGUAGE - TO & WITH

The last time, I explained when to use "speak to" and "speak with". Recently, I began to wonder when we should use "in accordance to" and "in accordance with" when I was drafting some tender clauses.


I am not an English teacher, hence I am often stumped by the English language and make common silly mistakes too. So, I endeavour to improve myself through this blog.


In this case, I read that some people use "in accordance to" and "in accordance with" interchangeably but I guess this is not right. If there is one thing I learnt about English, it is the important point that the context in which the word is or words are used dictates which is the correct, or more correct, way of applying it.


To start with, the meaning of "accordance" is briefly:

  1. agreement, conformity
  2. granting of rights

So when we seek concurrence or compliance, which is under situation 1, then we should use "in accordance with" e.g. in accordance with this clause or your instructions, or simply "according to" e.g. according to the teacher. The use of "in accordance to" in this context is wrong and unacceptable. If we say "in accordance to this clause", then it means we are bestowing or granting something to this clause.


I am beginning to appreciate the English language more these days. Some of the other stuff I will be discussing next are:

  • the use of the word "revert"
  • which is correct - mispelled, mispelt, misspelt, mis-spelt? car park or carpark? under or in this situation?