06 March 2012

HORTPARK 1

Today's weather - sunny


These beautiful landscape and plant photos were taken at HortPark recently.


The first few photos taken at the Floral Walk show the very beautiful and unusual ginger Tapeinochilos ananassae (common name: Indonesian Wax Ginger; Family: Costaceae).


The next few photos show one of my favourite tropical plants, the Megaskepasma erythrochlamys (common name: Brazilian Red Cloak; Family: Acanthaceae), that I often use in my landscape projects. I definitely feel it is under-appreciated and underused in landscaping.


Over at the Prototype Glasshouses, the double petaled Quisqualis indica (common name: Drunken Sailor, Rangoon Creeper, Chinese Honeysuckle, Scarlet Rangoon; Family: Combretaceae) is putting out its best display to maximum effect. Who wouldn't fall in love with such an amazing climber with bunches of pendulous fragrant flowers? I don't need to be a sailor to be bewitched by it.


I also saw this unknown bird on the Ascelpias curassavica (common name: Blood Flower; Family: Apocynaceae) at the Golden Garden. Interestingly, I don't think I have seen this bird before.


Beside this garden were lots of fluttering butterflies hanging around the numerous nectar plants, such as the Leopard butterfly feeding on the nectar of the Lantana camara or Cnidoscolus chayamansa (synonym: C. aconitifolius; common name: Maya Spinach Tree; Family: Euphorbiaceae). It is certainly not surprising, considering that this is the outdoor garden of the Butterfly Garden. I also spotted the skittish Cycad Blue or Plains Cupid (scientific name: Chilades pandava; Lycaenidae) butterfly on the Antigonon leptopus (common name: Honolulu Creeper, Coral Vine, Mexican Creeper; Family: Polygonaceae).


Every time I visit this park, I am always rewarded with something pleasant that brightens up my day if I am patient enough to pay attention to my surroundings.