04 March 2012

LOVE

I was looking for the second poster, which is the one at our cinemas, which shows the smiling faces of the eight characters of this movie and which I prefer. However, I don't seem to be able to find it on the net.


After the movie "Monga", Doze Niu decided to make a movie about love, which he claims he have lots of experience on. No doubt his name Doze is unique but I find it rather corny. Anyway, back to the movie. I only recognize Vicki Zhao, Mark Chao, Ethan Ruan, Shu Qi, Doze Niu and Eddie Peng and there was a cameo by the actors from Monga such as Rhydian Vaughan.


This tale takes place in China and Taiwan between the eight main characters. Somehow, I feel Vicky and Shu Qi were miscast, resulting in the unconvincing cougar pairing of Vicky and Mark and Shu Qi and Ethan. Don't get me wrong because I have nothing against the two female leads but the premises were too stretched. Maybe I am being skeptical here. If Shu Qi was bent on avoiding Ethan, why would the more mature woman suddenly have a change of heart and sneak up behind him at a wedding reception to put on his finger a mock wedding ring? Why would a highly successful young businessman Mark fall for an older woman Vicki with a child born out of wedlock? I don't quite get it.


But one thing's for sure. Despite the unrealistic ending, I do find myself enjoying Taiwan-made movies like this, which is a blend of light-heartedness, humour, love and hope.