11 March 2012

JOHN CARTER

It is one of those movies again. I know it sounds a tad condescending but it does remind me of "Clash of the Titans". There is always the hero, a princess, strange creatures and so on and an almost similar storyline to save a planet from destruction blah, blah, blah.


Having said that, I do enjoy it although I am not jumping out of my seat. Based on a series of 11 novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs, it tells the story of a former captain in the american civil war in the 1860s, who was mysteriously transported to Mars, known as Barsoom in the novels, after hiding in cave and found himself possessing superhuman powers because of the difference in gravity etc. He is able to make giant leaps and bounds with superhuman strength. On the downside, he can get hurt and die too.


There, he met strange creatures and the princess and set out to save her and her planet. As for the cast, there was the relative newcomer Taylor Kitsch, whom I remember as Gambit in the X-Men movie. Watch out for him in another upcoming movie "Battleship". Lynn Collins was the princess although I prefer Gemma Arterton in the "Clash of the Titans".

The ending wasn't quite complete and I guess this is another golden opportunity for a sequel if it proved to receive good box office ratings.