29 September 2010

HEALTH AND HAPPINESS

Last night, as I was fast asleep, I suddenly felt this pain on my chest. I didn't think it was a heart attack or stroke because I was consciously aware that my heart wasn't beating any faster or slower than usual. But it was like this tight and uncomfortable feeling on my chest. So I continued to lie in bed and just prayed for it to pass quickly.

It felt like a long time before I was distracted by my own sudden sneezing. I must have sneezed at least 10 times continuously and the next time I knew, my nose felt completely blocked. I had problems breathing and could only do so through my mouth. So I propped myself up slighting with my bolster and very hard to breathe. I tried to clear the blockage but it came back as soon as I cleared it.

So I continued lying in bed, taking breaths in between, until I unknowingly slipped into slumber land again. It wasn't a great night for me and when I woke up this morning, I just felt lucky to be alive. I wonder what this pain was all about? What was my body trying to signal to me?

Anyway, it was like quite a big shock to me when I first knew that Dr Balaji passed away 2 days ago from colon cancer at the age of 55. He held a high political position in our local scene and was like such a great, approachable yet healthy person. He was frequently on our media and I am sure they all love him. Who would have thought that he would just pass away like that? He would definitely be sorely missed.

The message is, we all need to take care of ourselves and not be distracted by insignificant or unpleasant stuff because we may never know when our lives would be taken away from us. So whilst we are still alive, we should try to be happy. Someone once said, no one can guarantee that we would always be happy, but as long as we have it, we should cherish it. Don't be too hard on ourselves and others at times.