02 September 2010

MILLETTIA RETICULATA

After watching 'Desperate Housewives', who could forget or who could not be besotted with the beautiful Wisteria? So when I was told there is an Evergreen Wisteria, I was more than elated. A synonym is Callerya reticulata.

Seeing the actual plant is kind of a disappointment because the tropical version of it was no where close. But I told myself not to impose unreasonable comparisons between the plants. I have to treat this as a plant on its own, with its own merits.

So, I do find this bushy climber interesting and although the flowering is not profuse, the purplish small flowers are rather unusual and pretty in its own way. Pollination of the flowers produces bean-like pods, typical of the Fabaceae (Leguminosae) Family.

The flowers were described as highly fragrant, although I did not detect any smell. A link is provided below for reference: