06 March 2011

MARINA BAY SANDS - PART 4

We were reminded by our colleague who was here before that the timber deck area is not the only place to see up there. There is a narrow passageway leading to the toilets where we had to walk through before we entered the landscaped area.

What greeted me was this clump of Cycas rumphii (common name: Queen Sago Palm; Family: Cycadaceae) and a link on this cycad is shown below. After walking through the entire area, I must admit I wasn't bowled over by the landscape even though I must say it was quite decently and pleasantly done. There was ample shade but some of the trees were planted too closely. But I guess I can't fault the designer because they probably had to do that to provide shade for the comfort of the visitors. However, sooner than later and not sooner or later, some of the trees and palms may have to be thinned out to prevent overcrowding. I like the combination of most of the plants from the design perspective but in terms of plant choices, I may not choose some of them.

One of the known highlights is the long and narrow sky pool where the edge of the swimming pool gives an illusion that it suddenly drops off into the horizon and one can see the beautiful CBD area and skyline beyond.

Frankly, I wouldn't pay $20 to go up to see the landscape because there are better landscapes elsewhere. But the main appeal that is absent elsewhere and where money cannot buy is the high vantage point the place provides to have an aerial view of the region. Short of going on the helicopter, which most of us would never have such an opportunity, this is the second best option I guess. And there is no time limit on how long we can stay up there although I was bored 30 mins into the visit, unless one is there for a purpose to swim or dine.