22 March 2011

MUNIA'S PLAYGROUND

My Scaly-Breasted Munia friends were playing a game of hide-and-seek with me in their playground. As I laid hiding behind the tall grasses, they finally came out to eat the seed heads of the Pennisetum alopecuroides and Variegated Panicum maximum. Then the overzealous gardener came forth with the water hose and with his sudden appearance, the timid birds flew away from the spot.

Although the gardener saw me with my camera, he made no apologies and turned on the hose to water the plants. What a letdown. Fortunately, I managed to take some photos of the beautiful bed of Melampodium paludosum (synonym: M. divaricatum; common name: Butter Daisy, Star Daisy, Gold Medallion Flower, African Zinnia; Family: Asteraceae / Compositae), white flower Oxalis and Torenia fournieri (common name: Wishbone Flower, Bluewings Flower, Torenia; Family: Scrophulariaceae) before the water came down on the bed.

Some links on the plants are attached here for reference: