01 March 2011

TELOK AYER PARK - PLATYCERIUM CORONARIUM

I had to split this post from the previous because I do not want to negate its beauty by subsuming it under a generic post on the park. It deserves a post of its own. Planted on a Yellow Flame Tree and located just beside the covered linkway, the Stag's Horn Fern has grown so big now since I planted it.

The infertile basal fronds and fertile dichotomous fronds are beautiful and hidden amongst them were 2 fertile kidney-shaped fronds with masses of sporangia, containing the spores. This is what I call beautiful! When I was snapping photos of the epiphyte, an auntie walked past and was staring at what I was doing before she eventually walked off. She must have wondered what a crazy person I was to take photos of plants on a Saturday afternoon.