10 October 2010

AQUATIC HABITAT

Then I was at the natural stream near the Venus Drive area and saw the following.

There was this school of spotted fish swimming at the lower stream against the currents of the very clear water. I am not sure if this is the Saddle Barb (scientific name: Systomus banksi).

Along the edge was this beautiful white-flowered broad-leaved marginal plant Echinodorus palaefolius (common name: Mexican Sword Plant) from the Alismataceae Family.

There was also a pair of mating dragonflies on the leaf of the Colocasia esculenta. The dragonflies appeared to be the rare Scarlet Adjudant (scientific name: Aethriamanta brevipennis).

Amongst the fishes in the clear water was this interesting halfbeak fish, which was likely to be the Malayan Pygmy Halfbeak (scientific name: Dermogenys collettei), so named because the lower jaw protrudes longer than the upper jaw such that insects can drop into them and become food for the fish.

As for plants, I am highlighting this invasive weed of our rainforests, the Dioscorea sansibarensis (common name: Zanzibar Yam; Family: Dioscoreaceae), that somehow always reminds me remotely of the bat symbol used in feng shui. A link is shown below.


The floating plant could be the Asiatic Pennywort (scientific name: Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides) which is also uncommon.

A family of Long-Tailed Macaque (scientific name: Macaca fascicularis umbrosa) was nearby and the young ones were playing above me on the high branches etc but I only managed to capture this clear photo of the adult.

Before I left the place, I took this photo of this interesting and awesome green bristled moth caterpillar with a cricket on its left. I have absolutely no idea what moth it is.