25 November 2010

LUDWIGIA, SENNA & FLEMINGIA

It has always been my dream to green up the pond and concrete banks of the Irrigation Pond. They have finally fulfilled part of my dream.

The Ludwigia sedioides (common name: Mosiac Flower, False Loosestrife; Family: Onagraceae) is growing so well and spreading so much. I just hope they can add more plant species to increase the diversity. 2 links are attached below:
The Senna alata (synonym: Cassia alata; common name: Seven Golden Candlesticks; Family: Fabaceae (Leguminosae)) was also flowering very well. One of the problems of the Irrigation Pond area is that it is plagued with lots of Fire Ants. They can be found almost everywhere. Short of using pesticides, I am not sure what to do to get rid of them.

The Flemingia strobilifera (common name: Luck Plant; Family: Fabaceae (Leguminosae)) that I posted recently was also flowering spectacularly. The brownish-green bracts really remind me of braided hair pleats.