29 November 2010

NEX

This new shopping centre NEX just opened its doors a few days ago. I visited it on 27 Nov and the crowd was just crazy. The whole place was teeming with people.

Located directly above Serangoon MRT station, it is the largest shopping centre in the north east area of Singapore and incorporates the Serangoon bus interchange into the building, just like a few existing MRT stations e.g. Toa Payoh.

There were lots of shops around and I think there are quite a few anchor tenants. Targeted at the general masses, unlike ION which seems to cater more to the higher class and income group, whatever essential shops you can think of are present. There are 2 supermarkets - Cold Storage and NTUC FairPrice, and 2 food courts - Food Junction and Food Republic, although not all were opened yet. The other shops and stores include Popular, Watson's, Starbucks, Old Chang Kee, and numerous other restaurants etc. A cinema is also available although it is not opened for screening yet.

There is also a children's playground and a roof garden but when I reached the outdoor area to go up, I found that it was not opened too. There was an overhead bridge linking pedestrians to the other side of the road facing the MRT and the rooftop carpark was full with cars.

When I left the place and headed towards the MRT entrance from the outside, I noticed the landscaping, which includes the more uncommon but equally pretty pink flower Lantana camara. With all these facilities and everything, it reminded me slightly of Vivo City and I am sure it would be a popular shopping center for the heartlanders staying in the northeastern part of Singapore. What mall (more - pun intended) can the residents ask for if they are staying in this area?

I attach herein the photos taken.