26 June 2010

5TH LUNAR MONTH FIFTEENTH

I heard from mum this morning that it is my aunt's death anniversary today in terms of the lunar calendar. She passed away a couple of year's ago due to leukemia, leaving behind her husband and 2 sons.

Her life was not a smooth-sailing one. When I was young, she used to take care of us and she loved me a lot. As I grew older, we grew apart although she always occupies a place in my heart. She had a congenital heart problem and had a heart transplant for close to two decades ago. I cannot even imagine how hard life was for her whenever she had those heart pains or pretend to know how it feels and that any moment could be the last day of her life.

Anyway, after the heart transplant, she was fine for a very long time. But when leukemia struck, I think she gave up on life. I remember visiting her in the hospital once and she had no appetite. She was already very petite for her size and she lost more weight after going through several rounds of chemotherapy. Her mental health was not good because I could see she was depressed and cried a lot. All she was worried about was her two sons and how they would cope without her etc. It was very heart-wrenching to see that and I didn't know how to console her. I am not good with words so after that, I didn't visit her in the hospital because I couldn't bear to see her suffer so much. A couple of weeks later, she passed away.

I went to her funeral and saw her for the last time. It's been a few years now and I still remember how nice she was to me all those years. So, ah yi, I love you and will always remember you.