17 June 2010

ACACIA PODALYRIIFOLIA

From a distance, one would not miss this outstanding tree with silverish white leaves. I think I mentioned it before that I saw them along some of the highways but initially thought it was a species of Eucalyptus.

However, at the Roma Street Parkland, I was able to have an up close and personal encounter with this natural beauty. Upon close inspection, I identified it as Queensland Silver Wattle (Acacia podalyriifolia). I planted at least 1 of them at the Silver Garden but never in my dreams did I imagine it to be so huge. It was really wow!

Whilst the inflorescence stalks are many, none of the flowers were in bloom yet. From online images, the flowers are supposedly yellow, reminiscent of other Acacia flowers. It is interesting why such velvety and silver-leaved plants e.g. Crossostephium chinense (Chinese Wormwood), Conocarpus erectus var. sericeus (Silver Buttonwood), have yellow flowers whilst other metallic silver-leaved plants e.g. Hemigraphis colorata, have purplish flowers.