17 June 2010

FLASH FLOODS

I was actually on leave yesterday to visit the dentist at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital for the first of two appointments for crowning.

It was raining cats and dogs when I was driving to KTPH and I had to drive slowly for safety reasons. After the appointment, I visited Ang Mo Kio Hub for lunch. Afterwhich I merrily went swimming even though the weather was colder than usual and the sun was out on a break.

I briefly heard about the floods on tv although I did not watch it.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I saw these photos online. I am sure it must be spread all over this morning's papers.

It must have been one of the worst floods along Orchard Road in years. Apparently, it was reported to be the worst case in about 20 years. Seriously, I have never seen Takashimaya, Lucky Plaza, Borders area along Orchard Road etc submerged under so much water. We are not talking about unfamiliar places and unknown territories that we cannot identify with here. These are places I am familiar with and have been there countless numbers of times before.

It must be a horror to be caught in the middle of the flood and watch the flood waters rise continuously. These are times that remind me that I am fortunate that I don't possess a car. I can imagine the pain and agony one feels if my car gets trapped in such a flood and the engine is damaged and interior upholstery has to be replaced. It must be a nightmare for those drivers and passengers who were in these moving or stalled vehicles and saw the water seeping into the vehicles. Even after all the replacement, the vehicle would smell terribly for the rest of its lifespan.

And don't even get me started on the affected shop owners etc who suffered tremendous losses due to this single freak storm that swept through the place in the early hours of the day.

My heart goes out to them.