04 April 2011

SENTOSA - PART 12

This is an area where I saw another Heritage Tree. Oooh, another water feature was in sight and I just love it. And on the tree is an amazingly beautiful Platycerium coronarium(common name: Stag's Horn Fern), that reminded me of Medusa's moving mop of snake-hair. Wedged between the collar roots of the Heritage Tree is the Centotheca lappacea (L.) Desv. (synonym: C. lappacea subsp. inermis, C. lappacea var. inermis, C. malabarica var. inermis; Family: Poaceae / Gramineae), one of our very own attractive grasses suitable for the semi-shade areas. I hope they just let it grow. Some links on the grass are shown below:

  1. http://www.kew.org/data/grasses-db/www/imp02059.htm
  2. http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1050&taxon_id=242412596

There was also a clump of light brownish mushrooms nestled amongst the roots. Don't get me wrong, I love mushrooms as evident by the numerous posts and photos on them. But when they are found on a tree, be it at the trunk, branch or root, it does not bode well for the tree because it is an indication of some hidden internal decay. So good luck, my tree friend. I hope you can battle the odds and continue to live on for a long time.