14 April 2011

DUXTON PLAIN PARK - PART 1

I used to manage this linear park and I was there recently. Surprisingly or should I say not surprisingly, there is still a lot of biodiversity in this often overlooked park.

There were lots of Common Grass Yellow fluttering amongst the plants e.g. Caesalpinia pulcherrima. In fact, I saw at least 3 grasshoppers and many scale insects on a grove of Pseuderanthemum reticulatum shrubs. Nearby, there was a cute orange ladybird which played hide-and-seek with me. When I tried to take photos of it, it would crawl over the leaf surface and when I flipped the leaf over, it crawl over it and this was repeated over and over until I finally managed to take these few shots before it disappeared from my view again.

Directly above the shrubs was an interesting spider. Frankly, I know nuts about their identity but this one spun a web with a huge white cross on its web which left me wondering why it did that? On the way out, I happened to see a Sunda Pygmy Woodpecker, which I posted before, on the trunk of a huge Pithecellobium dulce (common name: Madras Thorn Tree; Family: Fabaceae / Leguminosae). How cute! In fact, I was told that this is a common bird in our urban environment and can often be seen on trees in the carpark. However, I have never seen it before until these 2 posts. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a good photo of it.